June 10-12, 2022, Jackson State University in Jackson, Mississippi.
Hosted by Teen Health Mississippi and our partners, the annual Mobilizing Youth Summit (MYSummit) provides young people with an opportunity to increase awareness around issues affecting youth in their communities. It is a chance to equip young people with the skills and tools to build local outreach campaigns that advocate for the rights of young people.
“When you become an advocate for something you care about, you’re going to be surrounded by people who care about it, too.” —Samantha Fuentes, Parkland School shooting survivor and gun rights activist, speaking at MYSummit 2020
About the 2022 MYSummit
The Mobilizing Youth Summit (MYSummit) is a movement forged out of a vision to bring youth advocates and key experts together to deepen the conversation around advocacy and move us to build collective action. Attendees will participate in immersive workshops, thought-provoking roundtables, and inspiring keynotes, all while building their network of fellow changemakers who are working toward change in their local communities.
Mississippi youth, ages 15-19, are invited to join us and learn about issues that impact our local communities as they converse with other youth advocates and key experts, develop their leadership and organizing skills, and engage with elected officials. The skills taught are lifelong skills that empower participants to become Mississippi’s next generation of advocacy, business, and community leaders.
We encourage all Mississippi youth to apply and join the pipeline of future leaders who will impact communities across the state. Students of diverse backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
- Identify current issues affecting youth and innovative approaches to tackling these issues.
- Connect youth with other passionate youth advocates, leaders, and organizations across Mississippi to foster relationships going forward.
- Inspire youth to become advocates for change in their schools, communities, and respective fields.
- Provide youth with educational and leadership opportunities that will strengthen and build their confidence, voice, and talents to help meet goals within their schools, communities, and respective fields.
- Empower youth to develop a personal action plan outlining their plans within the next 3-6 months
The Summit will connect young people with an aim to:
- Inspire: by sharing examples of impactful initiatives implemented by young people at local, national, regional, and global level.
- Enable: by providing a wide range of workshops offering hands-on, practical knowledge to young people by leading experts and peer educators.
- Engage: by providing networking opportunities for youth with peers and key stakeholders and identifying critical priorities for youth to engage in advocacy work.
MYSummit will Include:
- Team-building and networking activities
- 3 plenary sessions with keynote speakers
- 5 interactive breakout sessions involving a range of youth and adult partners
- Tabling event with representatives from across the state and a wide spectrum of industries
Qualifications for Participating in MYSummit:
- High school or college student, age 15-19, with a passion for advocacy;
- Good leadership and verbal and written communication skills; and
- The ability to respectfully work with a wide range of groups and individuals, including LGBTQ (lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender/queer) persons; people of different cultural, religious, racial, and political backgrounds; and people with disabilities.
What can you expect?
- Gain information and skills that you will be able to capitalize on throughout your school and work careers;
- Collaborate and make connections with staff and other youth who care about these issues as much as you do;
- Share your experience and perspective; and
- Hard work, excitement, and fun…all while making a difference!
Applications are now being accepted for the 2022 Mobilizing Youth Summit.
- Review the MYSummit Participant Guidelines and COVID-19 Policies and Procedures
- Obtain the support of your Parent or Guardian
- Submit the online application, which will be accepted starting on Monday, March 21, 2022 at 11:59 pm. Please note that applications are accepted and approved on a rolling basis. However, the sooner you apply, the better your chances for inclusion.
2022 MYSummit Sponsors
Watch the 2020 MYSummit on Facebook by clicking here.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns please email Teen Health Mississippi’s Director of Youth Engagement and Advocacy, Alexis Hicks, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (601) 487-1228.