Mississippi Youth Voice Educators (MYVoice) are a group of 10 passionate youth partners from Coahoma, Harrison, and Hinds Counties who support and promote high-quality comprehensive sex education for all young people. Selected youth will work closely with Teen Health Mississippi project staff to design a peer sex education model that can be used to educate their peers in sexual and reproductive health education.
- Create and/or identify sex education lesson plans based on the needs of young people.
- Implement sex education lesson plans that are age-appropriate and youth-friendly with young people in your community.
- High school or college student, age 14-19, with a passion for preventing unintended pregnancy and education about the transmission, testing, and treatment of STIs, including HIV/AIDS
- Good leadership and verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to respectfully work with a wide range of groups and individuals, including LGBT (lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender) persons; people of different cultural, religious, racial and political backgrounds; and people with disabilities
- We strongly encourage youth of color, differently-abled, parenting or pregnant, lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender/queer, and/or immigrant youth to apply.
What’s Expected of You?
- That you care about comprehensive sex education and preventing unintended pregnancy, as well as transmission, testing, and treatment of STIs in your area.
- That you will attend all trainings and meetings. There will be one to two meetings per month, totaling a time commitment of approximately 5-8 hours per month.
- That you will share ideas and collaborate with other MYVoice members and project staff at Teen Health Mississippi.
- That you will fully participate in building a peer-to-peer sex education model.
What Can You Expect?
- $100 per month for the duration of the program
- To meet, work with, and learn from amazing youth leaders within your county
- To gain information and skills that you will be able to capitalize on throughout your school and work careers.
- To collaborate and make connections with the Teen Health Mississippi staff and MYVoice project staff who care about these issues as much as you do.
- To share your experience and perspective.
- Hard work, excitement, and fun…all while making a difference!
How To Apply
If you have any questions about MYVoice Educators, please contact Teen Health Mississippi’s Director of Youth Engagement and Advocacy, Alexis Hicks, at email@example.com