Teen Health Mississippi is seeking 10 passionate youth partners from the Jackson, Mississippi area to support and promote high-quality comprehensive sex education for all young people. Selected youth will work closely with Teen Health Mississippi project staff to design a peer sex education model that can be used to educate their peers in sexual and reproductive health education.
Selected youth will serve on MYVoice beginning January 2020 and continuing through December 2020. The time commitment is approximately 5-8 hours per month, and participating youth will earn a stipend of $100 per month.
- Create and/or identify sex education lesson plans based on the needs of young people.
- Implement sex education lesson plans that are age-appropriate and youth-friendly with young people in Hinds County and surrounding areas.
- High school or college student, age 14-19, with a passion for preventing unintended pregnancy and education about the transmission, testing, and treatment of STIs, including HIV/AIDS.
- Good leadership and verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to respectfully work with a wide range of groups and individuals, including LGBT (lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender) persons; people of different cultural, religious, racial and political backgrounds; and people with disabilities.
What Does MYVoice Educators Expect?
- That you care about comprehensive sex education and preventing unintended pregnancy, as well as transmission, testing, and treatment of STIs in Hinds County.
- That you will attend all trainings and meetings. There will be one to two meetings per month between January 2020 to December 2020.
- That you will share ideas and collaborate with other MYVoice members and project staff at Teen Health Mississippi.
- That you will fully participate in building a peer-to-peer sex education model.
What Can You Expect?
- $100 per month from January 2019 – December 2020.
- To meet, work with, and learn from amazing youth leaders within Hinds County.
- To gain information and skills that you will be able to capitalize on throughout your school and work careers.
- To collaborate and make connections with the Teen Health Mississippi staff and MYVoice project staff who care about these issues as much as you do.
- To share your experience and perspective.
- Hard work, excitement, and fun…all while making a difference!
Please submit your application by December 31st, 2019 either by mail (address below), email (address below), or online.
Justin Lofton 125 S. Congress Street #1224 Jackson, MS 39201
Email to: Justin@teenhealthms.org
We will be conducting an in-person group interview in mid-January. If you have any questions about MYVoice Educators or about this application, please contact email@example.com.
We strongly encourage youth of color, differently-abled, parenting or pregnant, lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender/queer, and/or immigrant youth to apply.