Teen Health Mississippi and its partners will host the 2020 Mobilizing Youth Summit (MYSummit), Saturday, June 6th, 2020, from 10 am-3 pm/ CST.
At the 2020 Mobilizing Youth Summit, we aim to provide young people the opportunity to learn and experience a variety of skill-building workshops that will increase their awareness around issues affecting youth in their communities and equip them with the skills and tools to build sustainable community-level advocacy campaigns that advocate for the rights of young people. This year we hope to aim to train at least 150 young people, ages 15-21, from across three southeastern states (Mississippi, Louisiana, and Tennessee) on advocacy to increase their civic literacy and political engagement on youth rights.
- To develop the leadership and advocacy skills of youth participants
- To increase the knowledge of youth participants about youth rights and what they can do to protect these rights
- To develop strategies for organizing with other youth from across the state on issues, including anti-LGBTQ bullying policies, comprehensive sex education, comprehensive non-discrimination legislation, etc.
Qualifications for participating in the summit:
- High school or college student, age 15-21, with a passion for advocacy;
- Good leadership and verbal and written communication skills; and
- The ability to respectfully work with a wide range of groups and individuals, including LGBT (lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender) persons; people of different cultural, religious, racial, and political backgrounds; and people with disabilities.
What can YOU expect?
- To gain information and skills that you will be able to capitalize on throughout your school and work careers
- To collaborate and make connections with staff who care about these issues as much as you do
- To share your experience and perspective
- Hard work, excitement, and fun…all while making a difference!
How to participate?
Watch live on YoutTube by clicking here.
Watch live on Facebook by clicking here.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns please email Teen Health Mississippi’s Director of Youth Engagement and Advocacy, Justin Lofton, at justin@teenhealthms. org or by phone at (601) 709-9418.